With a wide selection of project management systems available, your organisation might have some difficulties selecting one that is best suited for your particular business model. PRINCE2 (short for PRojects IN Controlled Environments) offers a de facto process-based method for effective project management. Widely used in the private sector, as well as in the UK Government, PRINCE2 is in the public domain, offering offers non-proprietorial best practice project management guidance.
Originally based on PROMPT, PRINCE2 was established in 1989 by the Central Communications and Telecommunications Agency (CCTA). With its launch, PRINCE2 effectively superseded PROMPT in government projects. With a consortium of about 150 European organisations contributing to the system, PRINCE2 was published in 1996.
Key features of PRINCE2:
- An emphasis on dividing the project into smaller and more manageable stages
- A defined organisation structure for your project management team
- Focus on business justification
- Product-based project planning approach
- Flexibility that can be applied at appropriate levels in the project
How does PRINCE2 benefit you and your organisation?
The PRINCE2 project management methodology offers you the ability to more effectively manage project and business risk, while also allowing you better management of your resources. The PRINCE2 project management methodology in particular benefits:
- Project Managers
- Executives and Directors responsible for projects
- Individuals seeking greater employment prospects and leading project management skills
For individuals, PRINCE2 not only helps you to manage your job more effectively, but as an internationally recognised, world-class standard method for project management, PRINCE2 is an invaluable career asset which increases employment prospects.
Organisations can benefit from the PRINCE2 project management methodology as it provides a flexible and adaptable approach to suit all projects, and is the international Standard Method for project management. The methodology is designed to provide organisations with a framework which covers a wide variety of activities and disciplines within a project. PRINCE2 will prvide your organisation with the following benefits:
- A consistent, common approach across projects
- Regular progress reviews, measured against the business case and plan
- Flexible decision points
- The opportunity to record and share the lessons learned from a project
- An organised start, end, and middle of your project
- A method to ensure the project continues to have a business justification
- The ability to ensure that you project does not deviate from the plan
- Good, open communication channels between the project team, project managers and the rest of your organisation
- A means of increasing the competences and project management skills of your organisation’s staff at all levels
A summary of what the PRINCE2 project management methodology offers
The PRINCE2 methodology offers you and your organisation the opportunity to make the most effective use of its resources, while providing a clear path and communication channels for your organisation’s staff and projects. Progress can be monitored and measured against the original project plan, and lessons learned from past experience can be effectively recorded and shared.
With its international recognition, PRINCE2 project management methodology is something to consider if you are looking for a way to effectively manage your organisation and resources.